The Common Law Admission Test (CLAT) for the year 2021 will be held on 13th
June 2021. The conducting authority for the CLAT exam is Consortium of NLUs. CLAT is one of the most prestigious national level examinations for admission in to UG and PG programs offered by the top law colleges in India
The CLAT 2021 exam will be held in an offline mode. For CLAT 2021 exam, students can expect around 150 questions. There will be 5 sections. The first step towards an effective preparation for clearing CLAT is to know the test pattern and syllabus well. Students should focus to enhance understanding of each topic and then practice questions. It is important that students follow a schedule and devote a fixed number of hours for CLAT preparation. Also, most of the CLAT aspirants are class 12th students therefore managing school and competitive exam preparation can be a little difficult. Planning and having a study schedule will help students to manage their studies in an efficient manner. Students should expect comprehension based questions from English Language, Current Affairs including General Knowledge, Legal Reasoning, Logical Reasoning, and Quantitative Techniques. Students can go through the list of important topics for CLAT entrance.
||English including Comprehension
||Current Affairs including General Knowledge
**Negative marking of 0.25 marks for every wrong answer
CLAT Syllabus for CLAT English and Comprehension
Reading Comprehension :
- Students will be given a passage based on contemporary or historically significant fiction and non-fiction topics. The word limit of the passage would be around 450-500 words. Students should have the ability to read the passage within 7-8 minutes. One has to focus on understanding the central idea of the passage. To score well in this section, students need to comprehend the main points around which the author builds his argument.
- Students should be proficient in drawing inferences and conclusions after reading the passage.
- Questions can be asked based on the summary of the passage.
- A deeper analysis of the passage will help the students to compare and contrast different points put forth in the passage.
CLAT Syllabus for CLAT Legal Reasoning
Legal Reasoning :
- In this section, a passage of about 450 words will be given. The passage could be factual or based on legal matters or social issues. Students will be able to score well in this section if they develop an awareness of legal and moral issues and they should be in a position to think logically and assess the factual situation with a generalist approach.
- It is important that students understand how to infer the rules and understand the principles on which the passage is based.
- Students should have the ability to apply rules and principles to factual based paragraphs.
CLAT Syllabus for CLAT Quantitative Techniques
Quantitative Techniques :
- In this section, students will have to solve short sets of facts or propositions, graphs, or other textual, pictorial or diagrammatic representations of numerical information and questions will be based on the above information. Students will have to develop a skill in deriving information from graphs and questions will be based on mathematical operations.
- The mathematical operations will require students to know concepts of class 10th standard such as ratios and proportions, basic algebra, mensuration and statistical estimation.
CLAT Syllabus for CLAT Current Affairs Including General Knowledge
Current Affairs Including General Knowledge
The general knowledge section will check a student’s awareness of current affairs and his understanding of important events pertaining to the news. Students will need to analyze the passage on the basis of legal information given in the passage. To score well in this section it is extremely important that students read newspapers and magazines and remain updated with current affairs.The GK questions will check students’ knowledge on the following topics:-
- Important events , dates and significance happening at the domestic as well as the global front.
- Questions related to Arts and culture.
- Questions related to International affairs.
- Questions might be asked on some historical events that have a lasting significance.
CLAT Syllabus for CLAT Logical Reasoning
- In this section, a passage of about 300-350 words will be given. Questions will be based on the following points.
- Students should be able to understand the premises and conclusions of the given argument.
- The students should have the skill to analyze and identify the hidden arguments in the passage.
- High order thinking is required to critically analyze the paragraph.
- Students should develop a higher level of intelligence to understand the term inference as inferential questions will be asked in this section.
- Skill to understand the passage based on logical premises is another point that students need to consider while attempting legal reasoning questions.
- Additionally, students should be able to draw out an analogy and relationship between the arguments of the passage.