The hotel management and hospitality industry are one of the fastest-growing and popular sectors in India. It is turning into a preferred career option by the students after 12th. The scope and placement opportunities of hotel management and tourism industry attract many students to take admissions in the various undergraduate and postgraduate HM programmes.
Since a large number of institutions are imparting education in hotel management, they are conducting their entrance exams. Some are accepting the scores of different entrance exams for the admission to the various hotel management colleges and universities.
An all India level National Council of Hotel Management Joint Entrance Examination (NCHM JEE) is conducted to get admission in 21 central and 15 state-affiliated Institutes of Hotel Management (IHM's). However, aspirants should keep an option alive of applying to a few national, state, and private hotel management entrance examinations.
Most of the HM entrance exams are of 3 hours duration. They test the scientific aptitude and numerical ability, general knowledge, reasoning ability, service sector aptitude and the verbal skills of the candidates.
List of Hotel Management Entrance Examinations
Given below is the list of top HM entrance examinations that students can apply for the course of their choice in hotel management.
1. National Council of Hotel Management Joint Entrance Examination (NCHM JEE)
Every year National Council of Hotel Management and Catering Technology conduct a joint entrance examination for the admission of the aspirants to the 3-year undergraduate course at IHM's. These IHM's are spread across the country.
There are 21 Central Institutes of Hotel Management, 19 State Government Institutes of Hotel Management, 13 private Hotel Management Colleges and one Public Sector Undertaking.
The entrance test is conducted in April- May.
NCHM JEE Eligibility Criteria
To fulfil the eligibility criteria, the candidate must have passed the senior secondary exam and should not be more than 22 years of age. In case of SC/ ST, the age limit has been extended to 25.Also, students awaiting their result can also apply.
2. International Institute of Hotel Management Electronic Common Hospitality Admission Test (IIHM-eCHAT)
IIHM-eChat is another famous hotel management entrance exam scheduled in May every year.
Candidates qualifying the entrance exam are offered admissions based on their performance in the online test, group discussion task, and the personal interview.
IIHM offers B.Sc. in Catering Science and Hotel Management to the qualified candidates in its 7 campuses located in different states.
These 7 IIHMs are:
- International Institute of Hotel Management (IIHM), Kolkata
- International Institute of Hotel Management (IIHM), Pune
- International Institute of Hotel Management (IIHM), Hyderabad
- International Institute of Hotel Management (IIHM), Ahmedabad
- International Institute of Hotel Management (IIHM), Jaipur
- International Institute of Hotel Management (IIHM), Delhi
- International Institute of Hotel Management (IIHM), Bengaluru
IIHM e-Chat Eligibility Criteria
The eligibility criteria for IIHM entrance exam is that the candidates should be between 17- 22 years of age and should have passed 12th standard with English as one of the core subjects.
If you are awaiting your 12th results, you are eligible to apply.
3. All India Management Association Under Graduate Aptitude Test (AIMA- UGAT)
Every year AIMA- UGAT is conducted in May for admissions to the various undergraduate courses such as BHM, BBA, BCA and Integrated MBA.
Some of the different HM institutes that accept UGAT score are:
- Goa University, Taleigao Plateau
- Culinary Institute of India, Durgapur
- SRM Institute of Hotel Management, Chennai
- Vidya Jyoti Institutions, Raipur
- YSR National Institute of Tourism & Hospitality Management, Hyderabad
- V M Salgaocar Institute of International Hospitality Education, Salcete
- Goa College of Hospitality & Culinary Education, Tiswadi
- Lourdes Matha Institute of Hotel Management & Catering Technology,
- SAMS of Hotel Management, Varanasi
- Dina Institute, Pune
AIMA UGAT Eligibility Criteria
To become eligible for this test, the candidates should be at least 17 years of age and must pass the 12th examination. Even if you are waiting for your results, you are eligible to apply.
4. Directorate of Technical Education Hotel Management and Catering Technology (DTE HMCT)
Every year DTE invites application from the interested candidates to take this exam for admission to the 4-year degree course in Hotel Management and Catering Technology.
Some institutes that accept the DTE HMCT scores are:
- Mahatma Gandhi Vidyamandir’s College of Hotel Management & Catering Technology
- AISSMS College of HMCT
- Maharashtra State Institute of Hotel Management & Catering Technology
- A.J.M.V.P.S. Institute of Hotel Management & Catering Technology
DTE HMCT Eligibility
If the candidates are at least 17 years of age and have passed 12th standard, then they are eligible to apply for this exam.
If the 12th standard result of the candidates is awaiting then also they can apply for the DTE HMCT entrance exam.
5. Bharati Vidyapeeth University Hotel Management Test (BVP HM Test)
Every year Bharati Vidyapeeth conducts its entrance test for the admission of the students in various undergraduate and certificate courses. The test takes place in June.
The different undergraduate courses offered are:
Bachelors of Hotel Management and Catering Technology (BHMCT)
- Duration: 4 Years
B.Sc. in Hospitality and Hotel Administration B.Sc. (H&HA)
- Duration: 3 years
B.Sc. in Hospitality Studies- New Mumbai
- Duration: 3 Years
Bachelor of Arts- (BA- Culinary Arts)
- Duration: Either Diploma in Arts or 2 years Advance Diploma in Arts or a 3 years Bachelors degree in Culinary Arts.
The lists of Certificate Courses that the candidates can apply are given under:-
- Hotel operation: 1 Year
- Certificate Course in Bakery: 1 Year
- Hotel Management & Catering Technology: 1 Year
- Certificate Course in Cookery: 1 Year
- Certificate Course in Food & Beverage Service: 6 Months
BVP HM Eligibility
To fulfil the BVM HM eligibility criteria, the candidates should be 17 years of age and must have passed the 12th standard. Even if their result is awaited, the candidates are eligible to apply.
So, don’t wait. Give a boost to your career and education in HM. Take the above HM entrance exams for making it to the top HM colleges. We wish you all the best for the HM exams.