The hotel management and hospitality industry are one of the fastest-growing and popular sectors in India. Students after 12th have been preferring to make a career in the Hospitality and Tourism sector because of the great opportunities ahead. The scope and placement opportunities of the hotel management and tourism industry attract many students to take admissions in the various undergraduate and postgraduate Hotel Management programmes programmes.
Seeing the growing popularity of hospitality and tourism, numerous institutions have been established by the Government to promote the sector and to increase its presence. With the establishment of different hospitality schools, each institute conducts its respective entrances for admissions to undergraduate and postgraduate programs. To promote education in the hospitality sector, the government had set up an autonomous body named the National Council of Hotel Management and Catering Technology (NCHMCT). The most famous HM schools include the Institute of Hotel Management (IHM) and the International Institute of Hotel Management (IIHM).
NCHMCT conducts the National Council of Hotel Management Joint Entrance Examination (NCHM JEE) for admissions to 21 central and 25 state-affiliated Institute of Hotel Management (IHM's) and remaining Private and Public institutions. NCHMJEE is accepted by 74 institutions. However, aspirants have a choice to choose from national, state, and private hotel management entrance institutions to kickstart their educational journey.
Hotel Management entrances test the candidate's verbal, analytical, and logical skills. Let us now learn about different entrance exams for admissions to hotel management programmes in India –
List of Hotel Management Entrance Examinations
Given below is the list of top HM entrance examinations that students can apply for the course of their choice in hotel management.
1. National Council of Hotel Management Joint Entrance Examination (NCHM JEE)
Every year National Council of Hotel Management and Catering Technology conducts a joint entrance examination for the admission of the aspirants to the 3-year undergraduate course at IHM's. There are different IHM's spread across the nation to provide the best education to hotel management aspirants.
There are 21 Central Institutes of Hotel Management, 25 State Government Institutes of Hotel Management, 27 private Hotel Management Colleges and 1 Public Sector Undertaking.
NCHM JEE Eligibility Criteria
- Candidates should have passed 12th or equivalent qualifying examination from a recognized board of secondary education with English as their core subject.
- The candidates who are to take the entrance exam in 2022 have to show and submit the 12th passing certificate for the final admission at the time of the counselling.
- The candidates who are appearing in the 12th exam and have their results awaited can also appear for NCHM JEE.
- Candidates with a supplementary in their 12th are not eligible to appear for the exam.
- The candidates should ensure that the documents during the admission and the information that they have provided while filling the form are valid and certificates are verified.
NCHMJEE Age Limit
General/OBC - For candidates from General, General (EWS) and OBC categories, the upper age limit is 25 years as of 01.07.2022. Candidates born on or after July 01, 1996, are eligible.
SC/ST - In the case of Scheduled Caste and Scheduled Tribe candidates and Physically challenged candidates, the upper age limit is 28 years as of 01.07.2022. That is SC/ST and Physically challenged candidates born on or after July 01, 1993, are eligible.
2. International Institute of Hotel Management Electronic Common Hospitality Admission Test (IIHM-eCHAT)
IIHM-eChat is another famous hotel management entrance exam for admissions to the prestigious International Institute of Hotel Management. IIHM is an institution that is focused to provide hotel management aspirants with the best of education and opportunities to grow in the chosen field at an international level. Aspirants looking forward to IIHM get the opportunity to study a semester abroad and learn from the renowned masters in the industry.
Candidates qualifying for the entrance exam are offered admissions based on their performance in the online test, group discussion task, and personal interview.
IIHM offers B.Sc. in Catering Science and Hotel Management to the qualified candidates in its 7 campuses located in different states.
These 7 IIHMs are:
- International Institute of Hotel Management (IIHM), Kolkata
- International Institute of Hotel Management (IIHM), Pune
- International Institute of Hotel Management (IIHM), Hyderabad
- International Institute of Hotel Management (IIHM), Ahmedabad
- International Institute of Hotel Management (IIHM), Jaipur
- International Institute of Hotel Management (IIHM), Delhi
- International Institute of Hotel Management (IIHM), Bengaluru
IIHM e-Chat Eligibility Criteria
- To be eligible for the IIHM eCHAT, candidates must have cleared 10+2 with English as one of the compulsory subjects.
- Aspirants should have cleared their 10+2 or equivalent examination with minimum 50% aggregate marks.
- Candidates appearing or with the 10+2 result awaited status are also eligible to apply for the exam.
- On behalf of IIHM, Edexcel will organize the exam at various exam centres across India. Candidates can choose the exam centre which is nearest to them.
- The application fee of INR 600/- is to be paid to complete the application process.
- There are three rounds for admission in IIHM- Written Entrance Test, Group Discussion, and Personal Interview.
- After clearing IIHM eCHAT, candidates are further shortlisted for admissions based on their performance in the group discussion and personal interview round.
3. All India Management Association Under Graduate Aptitude Test (AIMA- UGAT)
Every year AIMA- UGAT is conducted in May for admissions to the various undergraduate courses such as BHM, BBA, BCA and Integrated MBA.
Some of the different HM institutes that accept UGAT score are:
- Goa University, Taleigao Plateau
- Culinary Institute of India, Durgapur
- SRM Institute of Hotel Management, Chennai
- Vidya Jyoti Institutions, Raipur
- YSR National Institute of Tourism & Hospitality Management, Hyderabad
- V M Salgaocar Institute of International Hospitality Education, Salcete
- Goa College of Hospitality & Culinary Education, Tiswadi
- Lourdes Matha Institute of Hotel Management & Catering Technology,
- SAMS of Hotel Management, Varanasi
- Dina Institute, Pune
AIMA UGAT Eligibility Criteria
To become eligible for this test, the candidates should be at least 17 years of age and must pass the 12th examination. Even if you are waiting for your results, you are eligible to apply.
4. Directorate of Technical Education Hotel Management and Catering Technology (DTE HMCT)
Every year DTE invites applications from the interested candidates to take this exam for admission to the 4-year degree course in Hotel Management and Catering Technology.
Some institutes that accept the DTE HMCT scores are:
- Mahatma Gandhi Vidyamandir’s College of Hotel Management & Catering Technology
- AISSMS College of HMCT
- Maharashtra State Institute of Hotel Management & Catering Technology
- A.J.M.V.P.S. Institute of Hotel Management & Catering Technology
DTE HMCT Eligibility
- If the candidates are at least 17 years of age and have passed 12th standard, then they are eligible to apply for this exam.
- If the 12th standard result of the candidates is awaiting then also they can apply for the DTE HMCT entrance exam.
5. Bharati Vidyapeeth University Hotel Management Test (BVP HM Test)
Every year Bharati Vidyapeeth conducts its entrance test for the admission of the students in various undergraduate and certificate courses.
The different undergraduate courses offered are:
- Bachelors of Hotel Management and Catering Technology (BHMCT) - 4 Years
- B.Sc. in Hospitality and Hotel Administration B.Sc. (H&HA)- 3 years
- B.Sc. in Hospitality Studies- New Mumbai - 3 Years
- Bachelor of Arts- (BA- Culinary Arts) - Either Diploma in Arts or 2 years Advance Diploma in Arts or a 3 years Bachelors degree in Culinary Arts.
The lists of Certificate Courses that the candidates can apply are given under:-
- Hotel operation: 1 Year
- Certificate Course in Bakery: 1 Year
- Hotel Management & Catering Technology: 1 Year
- Certificate Course in Cookery: 1 Year
- Certificate Course in Food & Beverage Service: 6 Months
BVP HM Eligibility
To fulfil the BVM HM eligibility criteria, the candidates should be 17 years of age and must have passed the 12th standard. Even if their result is awaited, the candidates are eligible to apply.
So, don’t wait. Give a boost to your career and education in HM. Take the above HM entrance exams for making it to the top HM colleges. We wish you all the best for the HM exams.