The CLAT question paper is divided into 5 sections, of which the Legal aptitude section
is considered extremely important. Its importance can be inferred from the fact that in case of a tie, seats will be allotted to students on the basis of their score in the legal aptitude section. This section has 50 questions of 1 mark each. To score well, you must not spend more than 25-35 minutes on this section and have an accuracy of 90% or more. Before we lay out a strategy for scoring well, it is essential to understand what question types are asked in the legal aptitude section.
The legal aptitude section consists of the following type of questions:
- Legal Reasoning
- Legal Facts
- Legal G.K.
This section aims to judge a student's legal aptitude. Since, the student is expected to apply legal principles to a factual situation; this section tests a student's logical skills rather than their legal knowledge. Hence, this section helps in determining a student's clarity of thought.
- Law of Contract
- Law of Torts
- Indian Penal Code
While attempting these questions the following pointers must be kept in mind:
- No assumptions should be made
- Principle is always right
- Strict application of the principle to the given fact
- Always pick the option that is closest to the principle
In this part, direct law based questions are asked. The focus areas for this section are preamble, directive principles, fundamental rights and duties, etc. under the Constitutional Law of India. A good knowledge of the landmark judgements and amendments ensures that candidates have an effective attempt of questions.
To attempt these questions with greater accuracy, a list of the following should be made:
- Important Fundamental rights and other articles under the Indian Constitution.
- Important amendments.
- Landmark Judgements.
- Recommendations & Chairpersons of law commissions.
It is imperative that you read a newspaper regularly. This will also be beneficial for the General Knowledge section which carries 50 marks. Additionally, it is important to remain updated about recent judgements, new laws, etc.
For preparation of Legal G.K., the following pointers should be kept in mind:
- Identify one newspaper for regular reading
- Identify the relevant news columns which require a complete reading
Time Management for the Legal Aptitute Section:
- Total time allocation to the section: 25 to 35 mins
- Direct questions: 20 to 30 seconds
- Reasoning questions: 40 seconds to a maximum of 1 minute
Download these E-books to give an edge to your CLAT Preparation: